Free IP video management software
- No registration is required
- Extendable through the Patreon donation platform
- Motion detection is more advanced than most pre-installed software
- Turn some mobile devices into video management systems too
- Notes on paying for the license are overly complicated
- The navigation within the GUI is poorly constructed
- You need a compatible IP camera
- The user interface looks cheap and dated
Turn your PC into an IP/CCTV feed viewer
Genius Vision NVR Software Community Edition is the free version of this software. When you buy a set of cameras and the recording hub, you usually need your own monitor to watch what is happening. The Genius Vision NVR Software Community Edition app allows you to turn your computer into that monitor screen, and you may even be able to record the feed on your computer depending on which brand of IP camera you are using. It is hit-or-miss if the software will work with your IP camera. It may be easier to set up your cameras, install the software, and find out by trial and error if your camera works with the software rather than to wade through the compatible-brands PDF that the developers created.
Free and with an ugly interface
Genius Vision NVR Software Community Edition has a very ugly GUI compared to other video management programs that was created around the same time. In fact, there are very cheap Chinese-made camera systems that have sleeker and more sophisticated GUIs than this program. The interface didn't have to be so stuffed and so ugly looking, the use of drop-down menus or tiered menus could have made the software easier to navigate and use without cluttering up a single interface.